Matthew 24 Fulfilled!
nd there will be famines…
We are living in a time of increased starvation!! There are 1.2 billion poor people in developing countries who live on $1 a day or less. Of these, 780 million suffer from chronic hunger, which means that their daily intake of calories is insufficient for them to lead active and healthy lives.
Children are famine's most visible victims. Malnutrition plays a role in at least half of the 10.9 million child deaths each year.*
* "Alleviating protein-energy malnutrition," WHO, 2003.
Some striking statistics...
• The WHO (World Health Organization) estimates that about 4 million people a year die of starvation, or about 30 people every minute.
• "Some 40,000 hunger-related deaths occur every day, mostly in rural regions," according to World Bank former vice president Ismail Serageldin.
• It is estimated that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed, and one-third is starving. More than 800 million people are chronically undernourished (World Health Organization).
• Water shortages in parts of the world in the next 25 years will pose the single greatest threat to food production and human health. 1.3 billion people worldwide have no access to clean water (World Bank).
he terrible irony is that the world can produce enough food to feed its expanding population.
While some hunger problems are caused by drought or other natural disasters, most starvation in the world today could be avoided were it not for man's selfishness and inhumanity.
War, embargoes, government corruption, and economic oppression are all symptoms of the real problem.
While innocent children starve, some rich nations destroy millions of tons of food in order to keep prices artificially high.
Return to Signs of the Times--Matthew 24 from Famine, Matthew 24 Article
Return to Bible Prophecy—The Future Foretold
Return to Home Page